Friday 29 March 2013

Travel ideas

The continuing cold snap has left me dreaming of warmer climates and got me thinking about where I'd like to travel this year. I'm not very well travelled but would love to explore more of Europe, having only been to France so far. So i've been reading travel blogs and asking for recommendations to help me put together a plan. Although I would like to visit the scandinavian fjords, the seychelles and the great barrier reef, I think I should start a little closer to home and see what the continent has to offer (and save up a slightly bigger holiday fund in the mean time!)  So, here are the 3 places I'd most like to visit this year:

1. Cologne
    I've wanted to visit Germany for quite a few years, and think Cologne might be the best place to start exploring. With its famous Cathedral, its position along the Rheine, a popular shopping district and the home of the Lindt Chocolate factory, it seems to have something for everyone. It is also home to world-famous Christmas markets during the festive season and is accessible from London by Eurostar in just a few hours. At the moment i'm torn between visiting during the summer months and sightseeing in warmer weather or booking a visit to the highly recommended Christmas markets in December which i've always wanted to visit.

Cologne
2. Italy
    Another place I've wanted to visit for a while, but i'm still undecided on which particular part i'd like to go to. I think Milan or Venice would probably be top of my list, especially as I love visiting the South of France and Milan is only a couple of hours away, so would make a nice overnight trip. I still need to do more research as I am also intrigued by Turin, another popular destination with its impressive museums, shopping and chocolatiers, as well as the idyllic little towns nestled on Italy's coast

Turin
3. Austria
    With grand palaces, beautiful scenery and sparkling blue lakes, Austria is on the list too. The quaint Viennese cafe's, impressive Schonbrunn Palace and numerous city parks suggest that there is plenty to see and do. I have read several recommendations of Austria's sachertorte dessert too, a must if you have a sweet tooth like i do!


I'll be looking through my travel guides this weekend for more inspiration, but in the mean time I shall go and turn the heating up and make a hot chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Coronavirus lockdown diary weeks 11 & 12

After three months, tomorrow marks the start of shops reopening. As much as I'd like to look round, I think there will be long queues an...