Friday 28 September 2012

My Amsterdam City break look for the easyJet holidays competition

Here is my entry for the EasyJet Amsterdam competition which you can enter here .

I've put together an Autumn 'lookbook' of clothes which I think would be lovely to wear on a city break to Amsterdam, which mainly centres on a pretty feather print dress from New Look. I love the fact that the dress has a bold bottle green hem and a dainty feather print, which I think sums up the greenery of the canals and the delicate beauty of the tulip fields that bloom in the spring. 

In putting together my look, I took inspiration from the famous canals, windmills, and cafe-style culture that Amsterdam is famed for. What I particularly liked about the dress was that it could be dressed down in the day time, with a pair of cute but practical mary-janes, perfect for pounding the the Nine Streets Area of Amsterdam if you fancy a little shopping, or for riding a hire bike and cycling around idyllic cobbled streets and along the many canals.Pair with a fine knit black cardi, a shopper, and if its breezy a pair of charcoal tights, cute bow gloves and a beret to add a continental touch and you're good to go!

Come evening, you can just as easily dress it up if you're planning to visit one of Amsterdams many vibrant bars or restaurants, just ditch the flats for a stylish and very en-trend pair of ankle boots and replace the shopper with a clutch and accessorize accordingly (I really like the little windmill necklace from Etsy, so cute and very appropriate!) and you're ready for a night out in the city! I've never visited Amsterdam before, but from my research Cafe Brecht, which is inspired by Germany's alternative bar scene, and Vesper Bar would definitely be on my list of places to go! Cafe Brecht for its unusual and quirky style, and Vesper Bar for its kitsch decor and intriguingly named "high tea cocktails", where cakes from neighbouring bakeries are served with teapots of cocktails, sounds delightful!

Both ways of wearing the dress would certainly fit right in with how I would summarise Amsterdam style having subscribed to a number of Dutch fashion blogs; fashionable, city-slick and cute.In fact this particular look from the damstyle blog gave me further inspiration to run with plenty of green in my outfit, as I just love the bright background of leaves and plants adorning the rows of houses, very quaint.

Finally, to match the vibrancy of Amsterdam, I'd finish the look with an equally vibrant lipstick, like this one from MAC, in the shade 'impassioned', a bright eye-catching red.

Hope you like it!
All of the items featured in my look are available to buy online:
Windmill necklace from Etsy
Tenki feather dress from New Look
Green shopper from New Look
Black cardi from New Look
Mary Jane pumps from New Look
Tights from GAP
Beret from Accessorize
Gloves from H&M
Chain evening bag from New Look
Boots from M&S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Coronavirus lockdown diary weeks 11 & 12

After three months, tomorrow marks the start of shops reopening. As much as I'd like to look round, I think there will be long queues an...